Balling on a Budget. The truth behind healthy food and limited money.

Last week I shared an article on Facebook that talked about how the FDA has approved butchering chickens here in the US, shipping them to China to be processed, and sending them back to be sold here. I also mentioned that a grocery store was selling eggs for 88 cents per 18 eggs and how I think that equates too getting a really terrible product. You get what you pay for essentially, and if a factory can produce eggs for literally less than a dime a piece, maybe you might as well just pass.
Some friends brought it to my attention that it can be difficult to eat quality food on a budget, which I have experienced. Trust me, I'm a baller on a budget. I truly love good food with every ounce of my being, and yet, I work a high school diploma level job and my wife and I are raising a baby. We don't have Jay Z money. For real.
So I thought I would do the math, including an embarrassing phone call asking for some conversion help, to see what a quality and deliscious breakfast actually costs per serving.
After my 9 mile run this morning, I was hungry. Probably as hungry as a teenage boy generally is every minute of the day. So I made Breakfast Bowls with Roasted Potatoes, Scrambled Eggs, and Thick Cut Smoked Bacon. It was a yummy treat. Mine even had some green onions, and a sprinkle of cheese. 
The dozen eggs I got were $2.99, the potatoes were buy a 5lb bag get one free at $3.99, and the 1 lb pack of bacon was $9.99. The organic Green Onions were $1.29. We already had shredded cheese, and I only used probably 1/8 of a cup as a sprinkle on top of our bowls so I didn't take that into consideration because we could easily have passed on it. Also, I have a big container of Folgers which has to be lying when it says 210 cups per container, so in my math I said it makes 100 cups, and that comes out to $.08 a cup.
Adding all of this up came out to Lindseys bowl costing exactly $2.00 (no onions, and no coffee), and mine costing $2.17 (including onions and coffee). We didn't have to buy the thick cut bacon which was clearly the biggest expense, but I felt like I scored at the store on my potatoes, so I splurged and got the good stuff.
The point is, were talking about less than $2.50 per serving for big portions of good quality food. Try spending $2.50 at McDonald's, Tim Hortons, Bob Evans, Cracker Barrell, or pretty much anywhere. You might be able to do it, but it'll be a struggle for sure. And the coffee is going to suck. All Hail the French Press. It makes Folgers taste like a coffee shop, and it makes the good stuff taste like your having brunch in the Swiss Alps next to a llama while getting a foot massage.
I want to do more of these meal break downs in the future, and maybe even for a group. Comment with ideas or if you would like to be a part of Balling on a Budget. I'm also happy to answer any questions on how to help with healthy inexpensive meal planning so comment and let me know....anything. Haha. Let's be good to ourselves.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The real "Final Frontier".

Why do I run?

Cross the chasm or fall off the cliff?