The Internet makes everything better

Hello and welcome back to Suburban Intro to Homesteading!


I have a few new homesteading projects in the works right now in my small apartment, but they are in the beginning stages. So I wanted to take some time to talk about another aspect of my life that I think relates to this blog, and can have a positive lasting impact on the world we live in.


#30halfsbefore30 is a personal goal I've been working towards for a little over a year and a half. I am trying to complete 30 Half Marathons before I turn 30. At this point the finish line is metaphorically and realistically in sight. Over the weekend I finished my 24th, and have all of the rest of my Half's on the calendar with me finishing at the Air Force Half Marathon in September. If you knew me 5 years ago, this is a big deal. And it has taken a village. Between training partners, a family member's race entry sponsorship, my OCR family the Crazy Mudder Muckers, becoming an Ambassador for the Brokeman's Running Co, a loving and supportive wife, and a ton of other things that have played into the success of this goal.


What does this have to do with Homesteading?!


Well, let me tell you. Besides the obvious health benefits related to running of which they are endless, homesteading is work. You need to be healthy. Gardening is no joke, you'll want to have energy to do all of the things our society has said to leave up to the factories.


However, in this case, it is an app I want to talk about. Specifically the CharityMiles app. I just found out about it while getting signed up for a virtual race. (Virtual races are generally done on one's own time on a course of your choosing, and the money usually goes to charity). But the CharityMiles app tracks the distances you run/walk/bike and will donate 25 cents to a charity of your choosing per mile covered. Oh and their are 42 charities on the list including Feeding America, Stand Up To Cancer, ASPCA, Alzheimer's Association, USO, Team Red White and Blue, ALS Association, Habitat for Humanity, Wounded Warrior Project, St Judes Children's Research, and Autism Speaks.......just to name a few. This #30halfsbefore30 journey has been as much about inspiring other people to do healthy things that scare them as much as it has been to conquer my own fears and lack of   Right along with inspiring others we can give back to the world. The internet makes everything better. By downloading an app on your phone, you can directly impact a charity of your choice while Walking/ Running/ Cycling.


Get Scared.
Get Healthy.
Give Back.
Inspire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The real "Final Frontier".

Why do I run?

My first Fad Diet.